Topic: Local chat.

When other player bot is within a certain range and on your radar radar it is automatically added to the channel so you can chat to ppl around you without private convo.

Re: Local chat.

I dont like this option to be honest and its another way to stop people sneaking up on you as it were if we get recon bots and camoflage mods etc

Kveldulfson wrote:

I dont like this option to be honest and its another way to stop people sneaking up on you as it were if we get recon bots and camoflage mods etc

I definetly don't want an intel channel. Current radar is enough.

I just made a suggestion and an example how it could work. Main idea is to be able to talk to other ppl around you without the need of private convo. It can be that you got that local chat and you don't apear in it till you speak.

Kveldulfson wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean here. If the channel was implemented as JohnyGee suggested (bolded for emphasis):

When other player bot is within a certain range and on your radar radar it is automatically added to the channel so you can chat to ppl around you without private convo.

How would that local then become some sort of intel channel? The information would already be showing on radar and landmarks both.

The problem I see with this sort of implementation is tracking who's in what channel. It could add a lot of latency as people come and go out of any of possibly hundreds of channels. The only possible option I can see for this is either island chat or local zone/region chat.

You can meet each other half way. smile If you have a "local area" chat, that does NOT show who is in it, you can:

1. Keep quiet if you are a bad guy stalking.
2. Talk if you are a sociable guy and friendly.

You don't need to view who is in it, because if they're on your radar, you can simply see that they are there already. No need to display their ID in the chat window.

Fumen wrote:
Kveldulfson wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean here. If the channel was implemented as JohnyGee suggested (bolded for emphasis):

How would that local then become some sort of intel channel? The information would already be showing on radar and landmarks both.

The problem I see with this sort of implementation is tracking who's in what channel. It could add a lot of latency as people come and go out of any of possibly hundreds of channels. The only possible option I can see for this is either island chat or local zone/region chat.

I think I missed hte Key point when I read this originaly within a certain range and on your radar radar if this range includes any stealthy camoflage modifications then I have no issue

and a question just arose in my head
does rader see behind hills? as ground based radar would not normaly work like that hense we have arial radar for ground observation

so could a player use terrain to hide from another player even at close range for example?

Kveldulfson wrote:

and a question just arose in my head
does rader see behind hills? as ground based radar would not normaly work like that hense we have arial radar for ground observation

so could a player use terrain to hide from another player even at close range for example?

Interesting point, but obviously we don't have the 'usual LOS radar'. I'm not sure what the explanation for it would be other than 'arial observation'. (I know it's kind of straying off topic, but it is a good observation.)

I would be in support of a chat along the lines of what Vishnu has stated above.

I would also like to be able to close or at least minimise a local chat window also so I can ignore it

You can leave any chat you want at any time. So far there are no 'permanent open' chats.

I think what has been suggested so far, a Local chat would best be implemented like this:

*a channel called local opens when deployed
*the channel does not give a number of people in channel
*the channel does not have a list of people nor does chatting create a list to be added to
*only people that would show up on your landmarks list would show up in chat (ex: within 1000m) it would look much like a private chat does now with someone

Ideas for how it would be coded:
*when deployed everyone joins the same local channel for an island (everyone by default is blocked and can not hear each other)
*check to see which players are within 1000m for chat messages to be displayed to(unblock each other)
*if a player is not within 1000m they do not see the message (stay blocked to each other)

i still think that overhead display for local chat is the easiest and most logical system... for close-range communication.

- it can be seen by everyone looking into your direction
- no need for an open chatwindow.
- no indicator that someone is sneeking into your direction
- pirats can do their stupid "yarr" without starting a private conversation with their victim

did i mention - any elves, orks and dancing emote-comments about this suggestions are plain stupid and belong to kiddy talk in off-topic...

I was going to write out the ideal implementation for this, but GM Vishnu and Fox Nine already wrote what I was going to. So, +1 tongue

Some additional reasoning for Local/Island/Whatever chat came to me last night.

Once the user count is larger single channels like Help won't be able to handle all the chatting users want to do. We have already had to make separate off topic channels.

New people call for help for things like killing rats, and meet and make friends this way before they know anyone.

Even for experienced users communication between members of different corps is necessary to provide a more social feeling. You can see how much people want this by the way Help chat is used to discuss many different things.

Separate channels for each "area" helps to distribute the larger amount of users, while still providing the random social element.

I really do like the idea of overhead display ... seems it can solve lots of issues.
And "close area local chat" is really needed hmm

Come on why do you need it? hmm Local chat is bad thing, really. Why do you try to create an idea of the best carebear protection system ever, when the game is doing fine without it AND it makes Perpetuum less EVE-style

Dan wrote:

Come on why do you need it? hmm Local chat is bad thing, really. Why do you try to create an idea of the best carebear protection system ever, when the game is doing fine without it AND it makes Perpetuum less EVE-style

hmm,
seems someone just read the title of the topic and nothing else...

DAMN read the comments first before posting such nonsense

Bunkerkind Anni wrote:
Dan wrote:

hmm,
seems someone just read the title of the topic and nothing else...

DAMN read the comments first before posting such nonsense

Hello, I did read it, but I strongly against any kind of local chat except terminal (which is awesome idea) smile

then how do you explain your statement about "carebear" protection system??

Dan wrote:

Hello, I did read it, but I strongly against any kind of local chat except terminal (which is awesome idea)

What is being proposed is a system to let you chat to people you can see on the field. It will in no way be able to be used as an intel system. It is an MMO after all, you are meant to be able to communicate with other people from either offering assistance, saying hello, chatting it up with other miners in the area, or just yelling yarrr!

Well, what's the goal of an online game without permanent and easy ability to communicate with ppl around you?
Could we imagine we play in a game with sattelites, nanobots, awesome computers, and cant even have a radio?

If you absolutely must have some sort of local chat, create one.
The people that want to be informed, social, or feel as if they are a part of a community will join it.
Attalica already has one.

We need a local chat. MMOs are social games.
If you just make it so you don't show up in the list til you talk then there is no problem, i do not understand what the big deal is

the deal is, that all those agains local chat are thnking, that a local chat would reveal their presence to their "targets", like it does in that other game....

When will people get over eve! please leave your prejudice's at the log in screen (btw. I am still hooked on eve myself beta and counting and currently have 4 accounts). 
Absolutely support the need for some form of open localised (not not LOCAL as in eve ignore that terminology please) communication. Tying this into visible rage or radar range are both in my opinion great suggestions.

Implementations I like are,
1) chat channel - Every one has a default personal area channel any time you send a message it gets posted to all the personal channels of people in range, some form of hud integration to identify who has sent a message could be good as well.

2) Chat bubbles - all bots have an addition to there hud details where messages appear and are visible to any one with in visual range no notifications no beeps or prompting you have to be watching.

I particularly like the chat bubbles one tying into the hud removes the comic bookesq nature and turns it more into an txt of IM system, in fact this may be a very nice way to go thinking of SMS style limited length messages, just general broadcast rather than directed.  For more detailed chat move to a chat channel but as general easy to access social chat.

I can think of a couple of issues spam and hud overload.  so limit how often you can send a message as well as the size. Add an option that minimises all messages in the hud to an icon on the bot info or remove it completely from the hud, particularly for use in combat removing the distraction.

It should actually not be to difficult to implement we already have a bunch of markers for ewar, standing, targeting etc.