Re: Instances? In my sandbox? I think not!

Agonythy Gravesinger wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

This was brought up in the Q&A and I figured it was deserving of a thread.

jellor wrote:

are there plans for any squad based instances/zones?

DEV BoyC wrote:

instances are still being discussed.

The fact that this is still being "discussed" was alarming to me.  This game needs to stay persistent with no instances or separate servers.  Once you do that, the population just becomes fractured and loses much of its "massive" feel.

This discussion needs to end.

Errr.....you understand that by "squad based instances" they are talking about dungeons, and not different instances of the open world, do you?

Would be nice to have those besides the usual grinding / mining.

ahaa, my client crashed and I never did see my answer
that was indeed my intention of the question, I wasn't meaning sharded gameworld but complex type affairs ala eve (just couldnt recall the name as I havent eve'd for a couple of years)
But I think it would be nice to have something for the non PVP/Crafting orientated of us to kick about with, the mission system is ok but there's not much variation, and in my eve experience it gets stale fairly rapidly.
I'm not expecting ZMOG PEPIX L3WT! or massive lairs with 58 bosses that require 4 years to get through or any of that nonsense.  But just something with a small narative to work through with a few peeps that keeps you on your toes

Cheers
jell0r

As long as the process and interaction is not separated from the open world, thats perfect!

That said, there are consequences to an idea.  My statement of the above being perfect ignores some game design issues. I'll detail some, but I'm sure there are more that I'm missing:

Pro: Group content available 'on-tap'.  Something always available to do w/o having to make your own story.
Con: You're not making your own story, you unimaginative lout.

Pro: This gives you something always available to do.
Con: This makes a resource-constrained world pointless, and enables 'lazy' farming.  That may be an issue already with things like geoscanning, and recon missions though.  How much of an issue is that?

In my limited beta experience, it also seems that there is a pretty exact geographical correlation between distance from Alpha terminal to NPC level.  Is this intentional?  It seems to break the feel of an 'organic' world, a little.

Cid Jorgumeri wrote:

In my limited beta experience, it also seems that there is a pretty exact geographical correlation between distance from Alpha terminal to NPC level.  Is this intentional?  It seems to break the feel of an 'organic' world, a little.

which island was that? can't have been New Virginia then...

“The truth is balance. However the opposite of truth, which is unbalance, may not be a lie.”
(Susan Sontag)
Forum Moderator

GM Kami wrote:
Cid Jorgumeri wrote:

which island was that? can't have been New Virginia then...

U mad bro?

Just announce your resignation, already.

Took awhile for Steve befor they started ruining the game with them

Grow up or die

nah really, if you measure distances between the terminal and the lvl of the spawns, then you find t3 spawns closer then the t0 spawns to the terminal on NV.

“The truth is balance. However the opposite of truth, which is unbalance, may not be a lie.”
(Susan Sontag)
Forum Moderator

Maybe I'm measuring wrong, just judging by a feel of travel time.  FWIW though 99% of my play time has been on daodan, not NV.