Topic: Instances? In my sandbox? I think not!

This was brought up in the Q&A and I figured it was deserving of a thread.

jellor wrote:

are there plans for any squad based instances/zones?

DEV BoyC wrote:

instances are still being discussed.

The fact that this is still being "discussed" was alarming to me.  This game needs to stay persistent with no instances or separate servers.  Once you do that, the population just becomes fractured and loses much of its "massive" feel.

This discussion needs to end.

Re: Instances? In my sandbox? I think not!

> my feels abaut instances

ATOMIC RAGE

Everyone should be able to access the entire game world. Similarly it should be possible to locate everyone, there should be no where one person can access but another can not.

Instances are doings of the DEVIL!

Neoxx wrote:

This was brought up in the Q&A and I figured it was deserving of a thread.

jellor wrote:

are there plans for any squad based instances/zones?

DEV BoyC wrote:

instances are still being discussed.

The fact that this is still being "discussed" was alarming to me.  This game needs to stay persistent with no instances or separate servers.  Once you do that, the population just becomes fractured and loses much of its "massive" feel.

This discussion needs to end.

Errr.....you understand that by "squad based instances" they are talking about dungeons, and not different instances of the open world, do you?

Would be nice to have those besides the usual grinding / mining.

I think you guys are misunderstanding the question.  What the original poster is really asking is: "Will there be grouped PvE content coming in the future?"  Don't tell me you guys are against that also, are you?

Styx wrote:

Everyone should be able to access the entire game world. Similarly it should be possible to locate everyone, there should be no where one person can access but another can not.

^^^

They need to handle these so called pve instances like eve has done. But they are not truly instance but rather a set of probable gates/entrance that anyone can find and enter if there are people in there already doing the complex.

==============================

On a side note more pve content in the open world can solve the instance issue. Lets say some type of npc attacks on the terminals and outposts? Players work together to defend it and each wave gets harder and when they hold it or push back or finish off all the npcs there is some type of bonus for that terminal/outpost for a small amount of time.

Last edited by Gremrod (2010-11-14 23:04:14)

For beginning video tutorials please visit: http://gremrod.wordpress.com
Perpetuum Short stories: http://perpetuumfiles.wordpress.com/ Written by me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We noticed this week they agents can be priest/mages  They control the bots that can heal and do EW.

If there ever will be instances similar to instances in WoW for example i will quit this game. Period.

Gremrod wrote:

They need to handle these so called pve instances like eve has done. But they are not truly instance but rather a set of probable gates/entrance that anyone can find and enter if there are people in there already doing the complex.

I agree. This is acceptable for me. Other then that I am totally against instances.

Last edited by Zorac (2010-11-14 23:30:31)

If you want squad pve it needs to be accessible by anyone at any time. There should only be 1 instance of an encounter point, and that is part of the persistent world.

Grouped pve content is fine and I'm all for it, but unlimited instances for these dungeons just doesn't fit her

From Gremrods comment: you could have small islands with pirate npcs or mining operations that you can raid and have assignments for them.  They could get teleporters to them on the outskirts of islands to get to them. But, this would only be 1 instance, so you could meet other people there and possibly have pvp enabled ones depending on the area.

Last edited by Neoxx (2010-11-15 00:00:04)

I'm ok with that (the EvE gate-like solution) so long as it doesn't effect accessibility.  For instance, lets say there is a large robot drone-like infestation that you group with other players to take out.  It presumably would be a staged event, with multiple rooms (or whatever you want to call it).  If it's not instanced, you drastically limit the number of people that can do the assignment at any one time.

I don't want to try to read minds, but I think what a lot of you guys really want is to be able to access and attack groups of people who are running this content, i.e. the group is still part of the persistent game world, and doesn't go into their own little "instance" dimension.   And if it's not on one of the protected islands, I'm all for that.  But if that's the case, you gotta figure out a way to enable multiple groups of people to get to the content in an acceptable time frame.  Just saying screw you guys who like PvE is not acceptable.

Edit: I see Gremrod and Neoxx already said things similar to my point, so sorry to be repetitive.

Last edited by Gorgabot (2010-11-15 00:15:15)

You could 'clone' these islands so there's good amount of them to do.  You should also consider that competing for these spots is important to or else it just turns into a WoW like gear grind situation.

Even WoW has timers for those, so competing for them with pvp and controllong spawns is a natural limitation on how often you could do these, and is player controlled, which is what this game is about.

Nothing wrong with instances as long as they don't give the kind of loot you get from the pvp areas. 

Instances allow for scrpited events and pve thats actaully interesting.

or if your gonna have instances with good loot, make it dependant on pvp. like having to control outposts in the pvp area or something to that effect.

" Instances? In my sandbox? I think not! "

the more options a sandbox game has the better.  options are the best part of sandbox games. 

sandbox = freedom.  The more choices you have with that freedom the better.

good that it is not "your" sandbox wink

“The truth is balance. However the opposite of truth, which is unbalance, may not be a lie.”
(Susan Sontag)
Forum Moderator

The problem with instances is they take people out of the game world.

Whether they be pve or pvp, they will directly take from the pool of players who would otherwise be out there to fight. Which is bad.

If you want scripted bosses, why not have them spawn in PvP areas, so we can fight over rights to killing them? Sounds way more interesting than any instanced based pve.

GM Kami wrote:

Insightful comments, thanks for contributing to the discussion roll

and yes it's OUR sandbox.
you made it like WE want it to be cool

and for the OP, instance as to stay low, if present.
it creates pockets of players playing in different worlds instead of one big unique univers.
it kills interactions in a sandbox game, and more in a PVP/economical game.

Last edited by XrayIT (2010-11-15 15:04:54)

/signed.
I dont see how instances fits in this world.

I wouldnt mind having more scripted pve content available, and even available without pvp, but anything thats done needs to be a part of the persistent world.  If you are going off to fight some big bad ass miner bot I want to be able to go there as well and either join you, try to kill it myself first, or try to kill you and stop you from getting to it.

Some of the biggest ones can be kept to a single spawn that doesnt happen very often to make it unique, but some of the other small "dungeon" like things could be put on small auxiliary islands that you can teleport to and there could be multiples of the "same" thing essentially to give room for people to kill whatever is there.

It might not even have much harder or better mobs than on the islands, but maybe the respawn timers are a bit higher and it progresses linearly much like a dungeon would with the bots getting harder and harder.  The only caveat being is that anyone else could come along at any time and ruin your party, which IMO just adds another element of fun to it because you always have to be prepared.

GM Kami wrote:

good that it is not "your" sandbox

Are you trying to imply that its yours?  lol.  And with your recent comments, I wont be surprised when you're not a GM at launch.  Not because of getting kicked, necessarily, but now that you've given them your resignation you just dont give a sh*t anymore.

The title is meant to say that its the sandbox that I play in.

Agree with Neoxx.  Some kind of scripted PvE is a must.  I don't expect it soon, and it doesn't have to necessarily be intanced, but if this game evolves into another big EvE-like gankfest, where all of the Dev's focus is on making the whiney hardcore PvP'ers happy, I'll just move on.

For the record, I still enjoy PvP.  And I'm cool with the non-consensual attacks in unprotected space.  And sandbox PvP adds a wonderful tactical element to combat.  But the simple fact is that I'm not always in the mood for the "adrenaline rush, loose weeks worth of stuff to some griefer" type action.  And waiting for hours just to find targets, as well as always being dependent on large groups of other players just to have fun is lame.  There's room in the sandbox for everyone's taste.

GM Kami wrote:

I would expect better from a GM. Maybe something constructive.....?

Last edited by Gremrod (2010-11-15 21:57:25)

For beginning video tutorials please visit: http://gremrod.wordpress.com
Perpetuum Short stories: http://perpetuumfiles.wordpress.com/ Written by me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We noticed this week they agents can be priest/mages  They control the bots that can heal and do EW.

Gremrod wrote:
GM Kami wrote:

irony overload

Jita wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
GM Kami wrote:

irony overload

Yes.  This comment is ironic for the following reasons:

1. He is no longer a GM

2. He did loads for the community and game while he was a GM

Oh wait, I forgot, that makes it not ironic in any way.

GM Kami wrote:

Damn, even the GMs are trolling now. roll

Last edited by Dreadnought (2010-11-16 05:37:40)