Topic: EP selection enhancement request

I would like to see a button in the EP diaogue that allows you verify you EP selection if you choose mulitple extensions and or extension levels at one time before committing to it.  So for example if you wanted to raise Navigation to 5 and Basic Robotics to 4 and Long Range Targeting to 5 and see where your points were before committing to it this would assist with that. 

This would be a great help not only to post launch EP selection but more so for any of us who purchased the early release.  We have a lot of points to spend and it would be great if we could experiment with our points during Ext selection so we are spending our points the way we want.  Its easy to make a mistake and you cant go back at this point as you can only do one Ext and at a time and one rank at a time.

I understand the Perp Skill planner is out there but I personally would rather put my faith into the in game tool rather than a third party one.

If this topic has been brought up before I apologize but I didnt see it in the forums.

Re: EP selection enhancement request

If I understand you correctly you would like something similar to a shopping cart->checkout process, right?

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

This would be great if it worked with the eqip screen.  So it would show you that with two more levels of extension x, you can now fit that extra module y, etc.

Or allow  you to "preview" your extensions and how they will affect your fittings and things like that.  Maybe even just having some sort of refund process that is only possible if you havnt undocked or "used" your extensions yet, like refining/recycling/manufacturing/etc.

Let's not mix EP refund here please, that has numerous own threads smile

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

DEV Zoom wrote:

If I understand you correctly you would like something similar to a shopping cart->checkout process, right?

Exactly...allow players to select one or more EPs or EP levels or any combination and then have some ability to apply them after you are done.  I am guessing the easiest thing to employ would be an apply EP changes button and maybe down the road a new dialog might pop up and show you list of your selections (ie your shopping cart suggestion) and allow you to review your selections and accept them.

I really like this idea. Helps with planning ahead somewhat.

Love it tbh. Apply button sounds like the way forward

DEV Zoom wrote:

Let's not mix EP refund here please, that has numerous own threads smile

This does the same thing as the OP.  It lets you see how your EP affects your character before you go out in the field.

Maybe once you put the extension in your "shopping cart" it will affect your fittings (with a different color to denote not yet applied extensions affecting the numbers) but if you undock you obviously wont have those things.  Its not a refund, but you still see how it affects things before you spend those points.

Dont let your personal vendetta against me affect your view of my posts, Zoom.  I was only trying to support the OP, and wouldnt think of trying to derail it.   We cool, bro?

Paranoid much? I don't have any problems with you, let alone a "personal vendetta". Maybe I just misunderstood your post as you posted right after Poncho and started with "or", but as it turns out you mean the same basically.

Though that feature is much more complicated than a simple delayed batch upgrade, as you can probably imagine.

(and no, the OP doesn't contain this idea as far as I can see)

Well, as far as I can see, both ideas just want you to be able to preview how extensions will affect your character before spending the points.

Sometimes you cant really tell how an extension will affect something (like CPU or reactor upgrades) because of the hidden decimals.  This would be the main reason I would want this.

And no, I'm not paranoid.  I have way too much evidence against you and many others affiliated with Perpetuum saved on my 12 mirrored hard drives to prove without a doubt that you're all trying to ruin my gaming experience here.  I wont let it!

Last edited by Neoxx (2010-11-09 05:41:26)

Zoom...I completely understand how difficult it might to implement Neoxx's suggestion (which I like also) but is it feasible to implement the Apply button just for Extensions so we can select multilple ext and/or mult levels of an ext at a time?

Overdog wrote:

Zoom...I completely understand how difficult it might to implement Neoxx's suggestion (which I like also) but is it feasible to implement the Apply button just for Extensions so we can select multilple ext and/or mult levels of an ext at a time?

Do you seriously think people will wait a full month before they redistribute their EP in dozen of extensions....?

Overdog: I personally like that idea and I'm thinking about suggesting it for implementation, but Maynard also has a point, upgrading in large batches probably would be a rarity among players.

Zoom - Thanks for the feedback and your comments.

Maynard - Yes, I understand that most wont wait a month but because of the point accrual system it wouldnt be out of the question to have a player not be online for a several days to a week because of RL.  I do believe that could happen especially several months after launch when a player's day to day play time may slow down. 

But my main arguement for it to help alleviate mistakes when selecting EPs.  Even a days worth of points would be enough to up more than one Ext or Ext level.

/signed

will be great : a chart and stat preview before applying cool cool cool

Overdog wrote:

Zoom - Thanks for the feedback and your comments.

Maynard - Yes, I understand that most wont wait a month but because of the point accrual system it wouldnt be out of the question to have a player not be online for a several days to a week because of RL.  I do believe that could happen especially several months after launch when a player's day to day play time may slow down. 

But my main arguement for it to help alleviate mistakes when selecting EPs.  Even a days worth of points would be enough to up more than one Ext or Ext level.

The thing is:
Older you are, more EP you need for higher level extensions - less you will be using the feature.
Newer you are, more you play and you will update your extension more often - less you will be using the feature.

Don't take me wrong, I am not saying it is a bad idea. I find it nice feature to have but no 'must have', it is a luxury feature.

If only to see how much an extension will cost at later levels.  Unless you know the equations perfectly, its hard to know how much something will end up costing if you need multiple levels, so you dont know how much EP you will end up needing in the end.

Maybe a mouse-over highlight of how much it would cost to purchase that level (not total to get there, only from 1 level lower).  It would show after a second of holding it over the extension progress bar of the certain level.

it could also include that you could raise any extension without restriction, but you can click on "apply" because it will spawn message "not enough EP for that"

like the preview option of the planner.

it just have to made 100% not exploitable.

“The truth is balance. However the opposite of truth, which is unbalance, may not be a lie.”
(Susan Sontag)
Forum Moderator

GM Kami wrote:

it just have to made 100% not exploitable.

This is not a requirement.

Overdog wrote:

I would like to see a button in the EP diaogue that allows you verify you EP selection if you choose mulitple extensions and or extension levels at one time before committing to it.  So for example if you wanted to raise Navigation to 5 and Basic Robotics to 4 and Long Range Targeting to 5 and see where your points were before committing to it this would assist with that. 

This would be a great help not only to post launch EP selection but more so for any of us who purchased the early release.  We have a lot of points to spend and it would be great if we could experiment with our points during Ext selection so we are spending our points the way we want.  Its easy to make a mistake and you cant go back at this point as you can only do one Ext and at a time and one rank at a time.

I understand the Perp Skill planner is out there but I personally would rather put my faith into the in game tool rather than a third party one.

If this topic has been brought up before I apologize but I didnt see it in the forums.

This is an really great idee m8, i would love to have this option.

Overdog wrote:

+1

GM Kami wrote:

it could also include that you could raise any extension without restriction, but you can click on "apply" because it will spawn message "not enough EP for that"

I like this idea, so one can plan ahead with a few more visibility, especially noobs like me, but not only.