Topic: About EP

This was just a random thought about the EP system.

I like the idea of not having to devote my life to a game in order to be successful in it. However, there is one flaw in the design which is that once the game is 1 or 2 years old, new players will feel that "catching up" is not an attainable goal.

My suggestion would be to allow the sale of EP for Nic... BUT... you can only sell your EP to people with less EP (or subscription time) than you have. You cannot sell EP to someone who has surpassed your own total EP (used and unused).

This would allow long-time suscribers to have an extra stream of Nic and prevent abuse of the system while simultaneously allowing newer players to catch up if they work for it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Eco (2010-11-08 06:51:49)

Re: About EP

Progression is not linear. Within a couple months of playing, a new guy could be in a mech with 5 or more in essential extensions. That will be enough to get involved in pvp. Not 1v1, but I can't think of a single MMO where 2 months in you can take on a vet solo and expect to win.

Pretty much what Vorgrim says.

You can only use one robot at a time, so at a certain point all extra EP does is give you a wider range of builds to choose from. It doesn't make your chosen build more powerful.

I don't know what that time limit actually is for Perpetuum though.

And just look at this fail beta.  What the *** is a beta that doesn't crash?  The Npc's don't warp, characters don't get stuck in terrain, graphics don't glitch. I mean sersiously!  What are the Dev's smoking?  Another fail from the fail devs. Original post by Hadouken

To the OP.

I am not sure if it really is a matter of catching up. These types of game are more based on what can I do with what I have. (sandbox)

I have seen people in stEVE only 6 months old beat people 2 years old at pvp. Boils down to player skills in those cases.

I have also seen people in stEVE with alts that had more skill points then my main... but for some reason they were always broke and complaining about it. You have to be active in the game and make money to support the game play too.

Don't focus on the people that started before you. Rather focus on what tools you have to use and how you can use them best to your in game extensions and player skills.

Perpetuum Community Wizard Guy!
For beginning video tutorials please visit: http://gremrod.wordpress.com
Perpetuum Short stories: http://perpetuumfiles.wordpress.com/ Written by me.

With the EP curve and the wide range of extensions to use it in, you can certainly catch up to veteran players by high specializing.  When you start to get into the extensions above level 5, the cost starts going up quite fast, and you're still only gaining the same % each level.

I've seen first hand that you CAN take on much older players if you approach the situation correctly.  Sure, you might have to take larger numbers at times, but its easily possible even 1v1.  Knowing the game is a very valuable skill that EP cant get you.

Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I didn't get too involved in stEVE... tried it, then came back a few months later and remembered how the ummmm... "leveling system" worked... and just decided not to pick it up again.

As a new player, I figured this vantage point is something worth sharing. I'm sure there will be other players who come from traditional MMOs who will make the same mistake.

Last edited by Eco (2010-11-08 23:17:03)

I plan on taking 17 skills to 10. This takes aproximately 2 years to finish. A two month old character would be bug splatter in a 1v1 against a 2 year old. Now how many two month old characters does it take to kill a 2 year old? I'm guessing at least 4 with only 2 lost, 5 with one lost. Of course this is assuming the 2 year old is in a heavy mech with t4 gear and the 2 month olds are in assault robots with basic or t2 gear.

Eco wrote:

This was just a random thought about the EP system.

I like the idea of not having to devote my life to a game in order to be successful in it. However, there is one flaw in the design which is that once the game is 1 or 2 years old, new players will feel that "catching up" is not an attainable goal.

My suggestion would be to allow the sale of EP for Nic... BUT... you can only sell your EP to people with less EP (or subscription time) than you have. You cannot sell EP to someone who has surpassed your own total EP (used and unused).

This would allow long-time suscribers to have an extra stream of Nic and prevent abuse of the system while simultaneously allowing newer players to catch up if they work for it.

Thoughts?

This is an really bad idee. sorry