Topic: Thoughts on the Market

I apologize if these points where brought up somewhere else also, but there are from my experience.

So I am trying to start producing things in the factory and sell them in the Market. The Economic game sounds fun to me.  There are some comments and feature requests I have experienced trying to do this for about a week.

1)  The Rates graph is pretty much useless as is.  I assume it is Cost over Time?  But the subunits are not marked, everything is 0.00 -> high and the time is totally unspecified. I can see a graph jumping up and down but I don't know what the valleys or peaks are or how I would use that information as a seller.

2)  It is impossible to know demand.  Should I produce Chemoactive small bullets?  Is anyone buying them?  There is no data there available. It would help me decide what I should tune my factory to produce.

3) It would be nice to have a way to update my existing postings.  For things that stack be able to add more to the stack without having to delist->stack->relist to do so.  I would happily pay a fee to be able to do that. If i could do a 5 day sale on a stack of bullets and then 2 days into it be able to add more to the supply for 250 credits or so that would be great.

4) It would be nice to be able to have sort of a range system for selling and buying. So i could put in an advertised price and than a  bottom / top range as well.

This would be so I could put in an order to buy Titian Ore for 0.25 (which would advertise) but say that I would also pick up Titian Ore advertised for up to 0.50.  So if someone put in a sell order in that range I could buy it.

For Selling then I would put in a sell for my Avalon Harvester at 4,000,000 but put in that I would accept a bid up to 3,500,000.  This makes the market be able to meet selling/buying easier.

Re: Thoughts on the Market

I would like to add that being able to sell anything to npcs at a"set" price would be appreciated.

4) If the BUY order has range, I will fill the order at the highest price thus there is little point in advertising lower price.

No one will sell for less if they can sell for more. If you are willing to sell Titanium up to 0.5 NIC, simply place order at 0.5 NIC.

The system as it is works fine, it is what any commercial exchange is using.

unless the only price you see is the advertised one. I guess the range prices are only visible for the seller, not the buyer.

For a bidding system I'd suggest an auction system or using the trade channel or 3rd party (When they start up).

Market Rates needs a massive overhaul before it can be used. Needs filters too. This would allow you to see demand including when buy orders were added and their quantity. You're able to see the supply as a snapshot every time you check the market but it's hard to tell what's selling unless you're already selling everything.

Editing listings would be nice but waiting and cancelling them works fine. Editing listings should probably charge a fee.

Reiss Wolf wrote:

unless the only price you see is the advertised one. I guess the range prices are only visible for the seller, not the buyer.

What is it good for that I won't see a price I can sell my commodity for?

How am I supposed to compete on market when I have no idea what the items are being bought for by my competitors thus I have no idea about the current market price?

Then if you have two orders covering same range, who will get the order filled?

Can't see this helping to anyone.

Last edited by Maynard Benaui (2010-10-27 12:47:41)

Agreed. Using the market with a "Maximum price/Minimum Price" is stupid. 1 Item type, 1 price, 1 quantity. Simples. *Squeak*

(It's from an advert)

point taken for the range pricing,  but there was a reason why it was my #4.  It was less critical.  I am curious how the system works with more players and thus more activity on the market.

Anyone know what happens if there are many adverts at the same price?  Who gets the sale?  Is it random?

Sophia wrote:

Anyone know what happens if there are many adverts at the same price?  Who gets the sale?  Is it random?

I believe it will filled in order by date then.

EDIT:
If you can place it at the same price of course smile

Last edited by Maynard Benaui (2010-10-27 14:46:54)

Maynard Benaui wrote:
Sophia wrote:

I believe it will filled in order by date then.

EDIT:
If you can place it at the same price of course smile

Yup,  i just checked and I can list things for the same price as the current lowest and it shows up as a separate listing.

Yup, it will show up as two separate listings and the older listing should be filled first.

Ok so I have done some experiments with this and I have found inconsistent results.

Last night posted 5000 units of Stermonit miner charges and then a few hours later another listing of 5000 units and sure enough this morning only the first batch had any sales.

However also last night I had 11000 units of Titian miner charges and posted a second batch of 5000 and this morning I have 8711 and 4777 from the two  batches.  So 223 where sold from the second listing while the first listing still remained.

[EDIT]
Maybe it has to do with expiration dates? I was thinking about this more and the difference between the two tests is that the 2 Stermonit charges batches was that they where both 1 day sales so the first one expired before the second one.

However the Titian test the larger batch was on a 3 day sale (with 2 days left) and the second batch was a 1 day sale to do the test.  so the second batch had a sooner expire date even though it was a newer listing.

Last edited by Sophia (2010-10-28 15:58:29)

I think graphs for market is not done yet. Of course they should have X/Y axis marked with price and days-hours. And probably show something like amount sold. So far they look nearly useless.

The graph is also local to each location and no the entire island or world. Making it even more useless at the moment without a time frame.