Topic: Day one impression: NICE

Well, I must say, been playing for about an hour, and I am rather impressed thus far.  I like it.  Fluid, to the point, and it's nice to try to figure things out on my own.

I do have one very interesting question:

Did any of you work on EVE before?  I'm only curious.  I love this.

Re: Day one impression: NICE

the similarities to steve are purely coincidental. they set out to make a scifi mmorpg with logical interfaces and mechanics. logically things ended up similarly in a few places.

Prophet wrote:

the similarities to steve are purely coincidental. they set out to make a scifi mmorpg with logical interfaces and mechanics. logically things ended up similarly in a few places.

And that's awesome.  I'm very much enjoying this.  Can't tell you how great it is.

I can answer one thing. None of the DEVS ever worked on STEVE. Avatar Creations is not affiliated in any way with STEVE.

Perpetuum Community Wizard Guy!
For beginning video tutorials please visit: http://gremrod.wordpress.com
Perpetuum Short stories: http://perpetuumfiles.wordpress.com/ Written by me.

GM Gremrod wrote:

I can answer one thing. None of the DEVS ever worked on STEVE. Avatar Creations is not affiliated in any way with STEVE.

LOL... played stEve, but think this game, as it matures, has more to offer as it expands into other planet side activities... I can even see where cave and underwater exploration could come into play in the future.

Been on for one week now and am still fascinated by the bots animations... good work everyone.

Last edited by Krylon Rhae (2010-06-03 07:59:13)

i've just cancelled subs to both steve accounts now, you have my undivided attention, just waiting to pay for my subs big_smile

Since heres a thread already I was thinking I might aswell write my first impression here too.

Im very happy to see so few bugs over the 3 days Ive been testing now. I honestly expected a lot more. One crash and some stuck AI on some drones is all Ive seen so far and after a little adjusting of my graphic settings it runs very smooth in that area aswell.

I have a good feeling about this game. Although Ive always been looking for that fantasy sandbox game it seems like the Sci-Fi ones always comes closer to the mark. Pre-CU SWG, EVE and now Perpetuum. Failures in the sandbox area are plenty among the fantasy ones. Darkfall and unfortunatly Mortal Online aswell due to their demanding system (not sure what they was thinking taking a FPS engine and build a MMO around it? smile ) Sadly one of the best sandbox fantasy games out there is like 15 years old and called Ultima Online. Really sad.

Anyway looking forward to keep helping out testing this game and I have to say a nice job by the devs so far. I will probably moan and whine a bit further ahead about details, but we all know how that goes wink

Cant wait for this game to come out. Its been a long tome coming for more sandbox games to come out.

Any ideas when release will be, 1 month or 6 months or more?

In a world...
When your life is no longer your own...
A robot renegade cop...
This fall...
(it's late lol)

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

Well I should be able to get some more game time in tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

I have been playing the game for about a week now, and I really enjoy it.
I did play stEve once for a couple months but I quickly lost interrest in it.
Although I have problems with random crashes a few times a day, it is beta after all, I find this to be quite smooth and stable for a beta.
Being in a nice friendly corp helps on the good impressions as well though.

I'm really looking forward to this game comming out.

I played eve on two accounts for six
Years.  I heard about this game and checked it out months ago but didnt follow it too closely until i heard it was launching later this month.

All i can say is that so far i am having a blast and very certain this will be my new game hobby.  Loving it so far.

I am curious why peeps are referring to EVE as STEVE???

It's been a running joke since a while now, and while I'm sure they mean no disrespect, but it's not very nice either.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's been a running joke since a while now, and while I'm sure they mean no disrespect, but it's not very nice either.

Sorry, I think I coined the phrase a while back. We got tired of the EVE chat in help and one day I happed to do my mistyping on keyboard as I always do and ripped a stEVE into help channel one day and it has stuck since.

big_smile

For beginning video tutorials please visit: http://gremrod.wordpress.com
Perpetuum Short stories: http://perpetuumfiles.wordpress.com/ Written by me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We noticed this week they agents can be priest/mages  They control the bots that can heal and do EW.

its refer to it as steve because infringement rights sometimes get in the way when your talking about a game that is VERY similar to another. They do it for law purposes. I have been in a few games that have "banned" mentioning other game names on their forums for that purpose. This one may be different, but I doubt it.

I really like this game, but it similarity to eve is not coincidental

no problem with better versions smile

ive been on eve since day 1 , i love this game and supporting as much as I did with EVE !

I just realised that Perpetuum has saved me from another WoW expansion. I picked up the other 2 despite knowing I don't enjoy the game, simply through boredom. NOT THIS TIME BLIZZARD!

Much thanks AC

Prophet wrote:

coincidental? No way.  Similar is a few places? Most places actualy. 

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, Eve is awesome, definetly worth copying.  and perp, in my opinion, does Eve better then Eve did. 

But I don't buy the notion that they never looked to Eve for ideas.

We like this game.

Hadouken wrote:
Prophet wrote:

coincidental? No way.  Similar is a few places? Most places actualy. 

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, Eve is awesome, definetly worth copying.  and perp, in my opinion, does Eve better then Eve did. 

But I don't buy the notion that they never looked to Eve for ideas.

Ever since I saw this game I thought...wow....StEvE on a planet....

I've played everything at least once. Guess it's Perpetuum's turn.

Yeah it's pretty obvious it is a "steve clone" that they then took and modified.  I mean the UI is not just similar, it is basically the same UI, minus a few things and simplified in a couple others. 

Considering how complicated the "steve" UI is that is not a bad thing at all, I've had several people mention that this game is much more straightforward to get going in than that other game, and they liked that fact.

My biggest gripe is that I love the part where we see our robots and the terrain in high detail but the overview, oops I mean "landmarks" window is so big it really takes away from the immersiveness.  If they can figure out a way to make the UI a little less intrusive during combat it would be great.  It's already a step above being zoomed all the way out and seeing everything as dots surrounded by brackets, but I'd like to see it go further.

You can customize that window in a lot of ways, Tiggus.  You can remove any columns you dont want, resize each column to how wide you want it, etc etc.  I've gotten the window down quite small for my second monitor running a second client (1280x1024) so I know it can be done.

I'd suggest narrowing the distances to only show 3 numbers (no decimals and anything over 1000 will be gone shortly anyway), narrow the icons to show just the bot type, can probably do away with the effects column unless you're a support bot, names can be slimmed down to enough to recognize all names even if you cant fully read them, corp names could go altogether if you're really crammed for space.

Cool thanks for the tips, I will play with it more.  I've done some resizing already but the things about distance and such are a good idea I haven't played with.