Also lege, your too caught up in 1v1 balance.  Thats for first person shooters and fighting games like STREETFIGHTER(its so awesome it needs to be in caps).  Rpg's generaly are about team vs team balance, like in perp. 

the issue is not whether or not you can beat an old vet as a noob, the issue is, can you contribute enough to the team as a noob to be useful.

Lege wrote:

9% at everything. 9% times #ofextensions. They are multiplicative.
Let's do some simple math, reality will vary of course.
Ok person A 5 pts in all extensions, person B 8 pts in all extensions
The bonuses vary between 1% and 5% per extension point, but to keep the math simple we will use 3%
Also for simplicity we will assume they are in the same mech with the same gear.
For one extension relevant to a fight.
roughly a 46% chance vs 54% chance.
But there are roughly 20 extensions relevant to a fight.
roughly a 2% chance vs 98% chance, this is only if they close
And that isn't even calculating the difference in gear there would likely be.
Basically you have no chance against a mech that:
locks on to you faster
locks on to you farther away
shoots farther
hits significantly harder
hits more accurately
has more hp
has more gear choices
has a speed advantage
has higher accumulator regen
If person B can keep at the right range (the difference in firing range), they will kill and never be hit.

You can be competitive in WoW pvp in 2 months. One month to level up plus one month honor grinding and raiding.

thats not how math works.

If we look at 10 extensions and your 10% better at each extension, your 10% better.  if your 10% better at 9 of them and 9% better on the last one, your 9.9% better. 

being 10% better on all 10 aspects would not make you 100% better.

5 days of EP required for that.  what if someone doesn't want a sequer? And the sequer is slow. 

Does moving robots really need to be that much trouble?

" Instances? In my sandbox? I think not! "

the more options a sandbox game has the better.  options are the best part of sandbox games. 

sandbox = freedom.  The more choices you have with that freedom the better.

or if your gonna have instances with good loot, make it dependant on pvp. like having to control outposts in the pvp area or something to that effect.

Nothing wrong with instances as long as they don't give the kind of loot you get from the pvp areas. 

Instances allow for scrpited events and pve thats actaully interesting.

Lege wrote:

I'm fine with time based progression, if I'm starting with everyone else. I'm saying the game is going to have problems down the road when it takes newbs 6 months to get competitive. If I actually stay with this game for 2 years, I'll be one of those guys that sticks to pure combat and gets to 10s.

I started eve 5 or 6 years late.  I was playing with the big boys in end game pvp shortly after 1 month.  I was even able to contribute and help! I didn't insta die either.

If you want to solo gank people, yes, you'll have issues for awhile. But as part of a team, it doesn't take much at all.  It helps that larger weapons don't do so well against smaller bots.

someone with all 5's vs someone with all 10's is about 15% difference in power.  Money is more important. Being able to bring in expensive mechs and parts is a huge deal.  If your smart about it, you can get rich at any point.

money > ep.  Its a money game.  Not a level game.  There's nothing stopping you from making money when your low on ep.  ep helps, but its not required.

Lege wrote:

If you think a combat agent with all 8s is even close to a combat agent with all 5s your mistaken. The 8's guy will win 98% of the time.

whats the difference between 5 and 8? 3 points? 9%? How does 9% mean you'll win 98% of the time? 

Its actaully much easier in perp for lowbies to compete in end game pvp then the standard mmo.  Look at games like WoW or warhammer, a character that just hit level cap will still be insta killed because of raid/pvp gear progression. 

Its far far easier to catch up in eve or perp then it is in any leveling based mmo. 

Buts its deceptive, on paper its easy to think its harder in these types of games because of the time based system, but in reality it doesn't work out that way.

Eve missions pissed me off.  They gave too much money. I wanted to mine and things like that, but without being part of a massive corp or having 6+ months spent getting a real mining vessel, the missions were just too much reward to justify not running them. 

Getting ammo rewards isn't bad.  You can sell them.  Money goes down in value, rewards you can sell will go up in price as the value of money goes down.

In perp, I was able to make really decent money right off the bat with harvesting and mining.  Even as a noob in the weakest harvest bot with really low extensions, I still made enough money to make it worth while.  I would hate to see any one aspect of the game become so profitable that the others become a waste of time for the average player. 

Missions don't pay much, maybe they should pay a little more, but killing in general is decent money so the mission reward is just an extra bonus.  Need to be careful not too bump them up too much.

Targeting - You can tab target through things you have locked. Hit tab then R(i think this is the button) to make it primary.  Quick and easy 2 button press. 

Market - Its messed up because its beta. With more players and a little time it will sort itself out. 

I had no problems making money, but it took effort. Had to research and learn. Its definetly not as simple as in most mmo's but its doable when you figure it out.  I like the extra challenge and needing to use my noodle, but I understand where your coming from. Its a free market that relies on real players. Not as simple as just selling a stack of rat ears to a npc.

so i have two mechs in a station and want to move both of them to another station. How do I do it?  I can't move one, have my spark get out and go back for the first. There is also no cheap little bot i can use to move my spark around, that i know of at least.  Would hate to have dump 400,000 on a throw away bot just to move stuff.  Suppose I could resell it afterwards but just seems like a pain and you could wind up having to buy several of them if your trying to move a lot of bots.

And what if there's no bots for sale at the outpost your trying to move to? Just can't be done then?

Something like the Eve shuttle would be really nice.  Make it so you can't recycle them to avoid the problems that eve had with em.

Yelb wrote:

Greetings,

I'm quite a noob, only a few days playing, but i like the game and want to give it its chance, so i'll play with the pre-release offer.

I don't want to play two characters nor have two accounts, and following the general opinion, i guess i need to specialize.

I don't really know what i should do with the 40 000 EP (or so, 4 weeks EP). I'm considering two options :

- E-War
OR
- Robots production

Can you guide me a little so i can have a "good" start, with both of my options, please ?

I don't know if my english is good enough, i hope you'll forgive me if it's not !

Thank you very much.

save em. spend them as you need to. you won't need high skills while your still poor. horde your ep in the beginning.

13

(24 replies, posted in General discussion)

I would go with the future player built bases and terraforming as the first main money sink. Make that *** super expensive.  Let the big corps get hit with the money sinks, let the poor little guys keep their cash.  Tax the rich!

As far as the oringal post goes, the webpage has an awesome mech on it, and the log in screen also has an awesome mech. 

You can't play the game without seeing the sweet ass mech.  If they aren't able to make the connection and think that the starting bot is the only type of thing to look forward too... 

If people are asking about when can they get the awesome mech, thats a good thing.  They have something to look forward too, a goal. 

If they can't stand having to work up to that point, they won't last in this game so its doesn't matter. 

Giving them something awesome for a starter bot just robs them of an important goal and step in their characters progression.  The game does a good enough job of throwing awesomeness in your face.  And if noobs are asking about it, then its working as it should.

GM Kami wrote:

if "

Hadouken wrote:

Humanoid mechs are what people like.

"... why are you then the first one after 12 Month that tells us that?

is this a serious question or are you trolling?

Neoxx wrote:
Hadouken wrote:

Shooting yourself in foot by not catering to what the customer's want.  Humanoid mechs are what people like.  Not everyone, but a vast majority.  Just look at all the robot games and tv shows.  Its all humanoid with the rare exception. 

Variety is good, but if you want the largest player base possibly, you gotta give the people what they want.

I bet if they gave everyone tons of free EP and all the equipment they wanted for free, the population would explode!  ....... oh wait.


On a serious note, the way to draw a good population isnt to draw them in with a big hook like you mention, but to have a solid game with solid gameplay that actually takes creative liberty in their design.  Sure, a game based on earth where the tech has gotten to the point where soldiers all pilot big metal exoskeletons is great, but it doesnt always work in every setting, certainly not here.

Your whole argument seems to be based on the disappointment that you expected this game to have tons of mechs everywhere and thats it and the game wasnt like that.  You were obviously fed misinformation somewhere down the line, and it has permanently affected your view of this game.  Of course I wish it wasnt this way, but it seems like nothing short of reprogramming the game will change your mind.  I hope you realize what this game really is and accept it for that, or see that this isnt the game you were hoping for and move on.

Solid gameplay and a great core is why this game will survive.  I'm just pointing out that you'll get a higher player base by appealing to more people.

"Shooting yourself in the foot" was a poor choice of words, perp is not doing that by any means, they are just limiting their potentail player base.

I have no disapointment. I could care less.  You go on and on about me, but your just pulling stuff out of your ass.  I'm completely happy with the game as is, just pointing out that most people into robots prefer humanoids as is in seen in popular culture all over the world. thats it. I'm not personally complaing, just added something to the discussion.

17

(9 replies, posted in Feature discussion and requests)

Blackomen wrote:
Hadouken wrote:

Appealing to battletech or gundam fans would raise the games population a fair amount.

That's a double edged sword. It'll increase the gundam fans, and reduce the mechwarrior etc. crowd. It will not increase the numbers in both.

Why not have battletech style mechs AND gundam style mechs?  Keep the insects and tank like ones too, variety is good, like I said.  But most of them should be variations on humans for the highest possibly player base.

Shooting yourself in foot by not catering to what the customer's want.  Humanoid mechs are what people like.  Not everyone, but a vast majority.  Just look at all the robot games and tv shows.  Its all humanoid with the rare exception. 

Variety is good, but if you want the largest player base possibly, you gotta give the people what they want.

19

(9 replies, posted in Feature discussion and requests)

If you want the game to attract the most players it can, most of the robots should be similar to whats popular. I.E. humanoids.  diversity is good, but you gotta give the people what they want if you want their money. 

Appealing to battletech or gundam fans would raise the games population a fair amount.

Styx wrote:
Hadouken wrote:

conventional firearms(machine guns basically) are your basic weapon. 

Em guns are close range high damage. 

Lasers are long range least damage.

Missiles are meduim range, meduim damage, but can fire over hills ignoring line of sight. 

Perp uses similar mechanics to combat, but there's no rotational speed. The rest is the same, but the addition of line of sight mechanics makes things very interesting.

Incorrect.

Guass guns are close range extreme damage.
EM guns are medium range and medium damage.

Close range lasers are high damage, medium range and high cap consumption.
Long range lasers are extreme range, medium damage and high cap consumption.

Missiles have a huge arc of fire, terrible damage, high alpha and low cap consumption.

my bad, thats just what i heard. i've only played with missiles so far. Never even heard of guass guns!  I better do some more research before the 18th.

conventional firearms(machine guns basically) are your basic weapon. 

Em guns are close range high damage. 

Lasers are long range least damage.

Missiles are meduim range, meduim damage, but can fire over hills ignoring line of sight. 

Perp uses similar mechanics to combat, but there's no rotational speed. The rest is the same, but the addition of line of sight mechanics makes things very interesting.

22

(25 replies, posted in General discussion)

Prophet wrote:

the similarities to steve are purely coincidental. they set out to make a scifi mmorpg with logical interfaces and mechanics. logically things ended up similarly in a few places.

coincidental? No way.  Similar is a few places? Most places actualy. 

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, Eve is awesome, definetly worth copying.  and perp, in my opinion, does Eve better then Eve did. 

But I don't buy the notion that they never looked to Eve for ideas.

23

(37 replies, posted in Feature discussion and requests)

Trying to take on 6 mobs with switching targets every couple of seconds to maintain onwership is a pain. Not to mention the locking time involved in getting all 6 locked.

Out damaging someone on one mob is easy.

24

(37 replies, posted in Feature discussion and requests)

Volthar wrote:
thanto wrote:
Hexcaliber wrote:

This is a terrible idea, rife for griefing, it means new players don't stand a chance against established ones; great way to drive away new customers if they cannot even play at the most basic level because of asshats.

How is it "rife for griefing"?  Griefers would need to do more than half damage to an NPC for them to tag it.  They would then have to stop attacking.  Might as well just kill it at that point.

Griefer watches newbie tag a mob. Griefer opens up with his much better gear and skills and easily does over half damage. Repeat every time the newbie tags a new mob. Everquest used to have that system. They ended up changing it because of the rampant killstealing by high DPS classes.

Good old wizards.

25

(20 replies, posted in Feature discussion and requests)

Fiben Bolger wrote:

I want to chip in that I like the exploration aspect of mining.

From a PVP point of view, having static nodes means that you will have to bring some muscle to mine anything valuable on the beta islands.  Or be super sneaky and learn how to pull out fast.  You still won't know if this or that area is depleted until you scan.  Or which tiles will be productive.  And newer corps will have to learn for themselves the geology of the land.  I think it is very realistic.

whoa, ya PVP.  This will really screw over smaller corps and anyone trying to mine solo.  Big corps can just guard the good spots, or at least patrol them on a regualr basis. 

Was this a problem at all in beta testing so far?  Seems like this problem will get worse and worse as the number of players increases. 

With enough spawns for everyone its probably ok.  But when competition for spawns starts to kick in, like when corporation sizes get much larger then in beta, the risk of having one or two corps basically having a monopoly on mining seems like it will go up a lot.  Just makes it that much harder for new players and new corps to catch up.