Topic: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Seems that there too common-place around the sectors, distant from docking stations. I can understand the newbie docking station surroundings due to the practical fear of newbie loss, etc. But i traveled quite a bit around Attalica from New Bransburg to Radholme East and West and i felt too safe, too Blue.

Now, granted i'm still getting my feet wet, and at the same time, considering what community-driven, competitive and camaraderie elements of territorial skirmishes, control, industry, etc., this game has to offer to give that sense of a player-driven and influenced ecosystem. One of the things that might have detracted from that for me is the current prevalence of staged Police Guard Towers.  I would rather see players control and police the deeper regions of a sector than an inanimate coded object; but again, this is first-pass juxtaposed to consideration for an acceptable hybrid pvevp game-play environment.

I dont know if it feels as though it's the right mix right now for my tastes, but I usually err on the side of risk than safety, assuming that more game-play, mining, industry, and combat rewards are gotten from gaming outside the safety net of a zap tower.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

I would have to agree with the above statement.

Eh, I mean... Yarr we need more PvP Zones!!!

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

I think the current zones the way they are atm are like lowsec in eve, you can fight but you'll get popped (because we dont have anything hardy enough to protect against towers yet).  Eventually when players "own" islands i imagin it being much like nullsec.  And besides being instantly popped outside a terminal is bad, at least in eve you can see if anyone is in your local area, and take an estimated risk, this has no such feature.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

There's plenty of PvP area outside of the 3 starter islands. Maybe the problem is that there's not as much reward for wandering out there yet? Otherwise, I don't think I've traveled for more than 5 minutes without permanently leaving protected areas.

Daniel wrote:

I think the current zones the way they are atm are like lowsec in eve, you can fight but you'll get popped (because we dont have anything hardy enough to protect against towers yet).  Eventually when players "own" islands i imagin it being much like nullsec.  And besides being instantly popped outside a terminal is bad, at least in eve you can see if anyone is in your local area, and take an estimated risk, this has no such feature.

I'd say the 'lowsec' is anything near the towers, as in shooting into the towers, etc. If both players are completely outside of coverage, there is currently no consequences, such as in nullsec. I relate this to shooting down a player in a lowsec system. You're stuck outside of protection (can't even approach gates or station) until the criminal flag wears off.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Fumen wrote:

There's plenty of PvP area outside of the 3 starter islands. Maybe the problem is that there's not as much reward for wandering out there yet?

And this is crucial, I believe.  There should be greater opportunity for pve and mining/gathering rewards and collectables outside of protected areas as opposed to inside; pushes players into zones of interaction. I hope that most ore and gatherables are 'not' within the police zones, but the basics for low-range things are.

Edit: In other words, ore and flora gatherables that are less common, but absolutely necessary elements of production (for example) should be found in areas of greater risk.  Like Melatis shouldnt be prevalent inland and at the beach, but prosper in one type of geological location.

Last edited by Cik (2010-01-01 16:24:04)

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:
Fumen wrote:

There's plenty of PvP area outside of the 3 starter islands. Maybe the problem is that there's not as much reward for wandering out there yet?

And this is crucial, I believe.  There should be greater opportunity for pve and mining/gathering rewards and collectables outside of protected areas as opposed to inside; pushes players into zones of interaction. I hope that most ore and gatherables are 'not' within the police zones, but the basics for low-range things are.

I have some ideas... and regarding this topic, I think that all sort of islands(aka fully protected, partialy protected and player controled) should have some unique resource that all islands are worth equaly.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Maynard Benaui wrote:
Cik wrote:
Fumen wrote:

There's plenty of PvP area outside of the 3 starter islands. Maybe the problem is that there's not as much reward for wandering out there yet?

And this is crucial, I believe.  There should be greater opportunity for pve and mining/gathering rewards and collectables outside of protected areas as opposed to inside; pushes players into zones of interaction. I hope that most ore and gatherables are 'not' within the police zones, but the basics for low-range things are.

I have some ideas... and regarding this topic, I think that all sort of islands(aka fully protected, partialy protected and player controled) should have some unique resource that all islands are worth equaly.

And this is where I differ specifically.  I dont think that NPC controlled, safe zone islands or npc safe zones (blue areas) should carry unique or necessary limited resources (meaning small amounts of something unique for a plan) for production at all.  I think those resources should be outside Policed Zones, within player-controlled areas, to compete against and have some meaningful elements to protect  and corporately compete for.  Otherwise, nothing is rewarding from game-play gain perspective because it's essentially handed to me without risk, regardless as to how slight or great.  Without varying elements of risk/reward, nothing holds varying degrees of community value.  And those same unique production resources shouldnt be available through the npc system.

Last edited by Cik (2010-01-01 17:09:25)

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:


And this is where I differ specifically.  I dont think that NPC controlled, safe zone islands or npc safe zones (blue areas) should carry unique or necessary limited resources (meaning small amounts of something unique for a plan) for production at all.  I think those resources should be outside Policed Zones, within player-controlled areas, to compete against and have some meaningful elements to protect  and corporately compete for.  Otherwise, nothing is rewarding from game-play gain perspective because it's essentially handed to me without risk, regardless as to how slight or great.  Without varying elements of risk/reward, nothing holds varying degrees of community value.  And those same unique production resources shouldnt be available through the npc system.

Risk/Reward is ***, forget it.

You want a game that is rich and played by many ways, not only offer rewards when you do 'dangerous'.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Maynard Benaui wrote:
Cik wrote:


And this is where I differ specifically.  I dont think that NPC controlled, safe zone islands or npc safe zones (blue areas) should carry unique or necessary limited resources (meaning small amounts of something unique for a plan) for production at all.  I think those resources should be outside Policed Zones, within player-controlled areas, to compete against and have some meaningful elements to protect  and corporately compete for.  Otherwise, nothing is rewarding from game-play gain perspective because it's essentially handed to me without risk, regardless as to how slight or great.  Without varying elements of risk/reward, nothing holds varying degrees of community value.  And those same unique production resources shouldnt be available through the npc system.

Risk/Reward is ***, forget it.

You want a game that is rich and played by many ways, not only offer rewards when you do 'dangerous'.

Firstly, dont curse me. Secondly, I can hardly understand what you said.  But if you disagree, say it supportingly and rationally. If you're of the pve-centric ecosystem mindset whereby computer-code doesnt interfere with your freedom, as though there is a pause button, and where everything is under one umbrella as in a single-player game, then I disagree.  If in fact you are interested in a single-player-esque game that is populated by other players, where the game-play amounts to clicking repeatedly against tethered mobile objects most of the time, and stationary resource nodes the other times, where you engage in nothing more than a social in-game lobby message board, as you control your avatar, go for it; I hope Perpetuum isn't aiming to be that shallow.

Last edited by Cik (2010-01-01 18:02:42)

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:

Firstly, dont curse me. Secondly, I can hardly understand what you said.  But if you want a single-player game where you click against tethered mobile objects, where you engage in nothing more than a social in-game lobby message board, as you control your avatar, go for it; I dont think this game is aiming to be that shallow.

No one is cursing on you and no one is talking about single player game.

You are never rewarded for risk, you would be stupid to take the risk on you, you are rewarded for your effort to lower the risk. It is the teamwork you are rewarded for. Why not to reward the teamwork in less pew pew areas?

You do the same effort just focused in different dirrection and you shoul be rewarded for that, not the same reward but different, preferably having increased value in field you are making the effort in.

11

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Maynard Benaui wrote:
Cik wrote:

Firstly, dont curse me. Secondly, I can hardly understand what you said.  But if you want a single-player game where you click against tethered mobile objects, where you engage in nothing more than a social in-game lobby message board, as you control your avatar, go for it; I dont think this game is aiming to be that shallow.

No one is cursing on you and no one is talking about single player game.

You are never rewarded for risk, you would be stupid to take the risk on you, you are rewarded for your effort to lower the risk. It is the teamwork you are rewarded for. Why not to reward the teamwork in less pew pew areas?

You do the same effort just focused in different dirrection and you shoul be rewarded for that, not the same reward but different, preferably having increased value in field you are making the effort in.

I just edited mine above to add.  But, you are always rewarded for risk. You would be stupid for not taking on challenges that return greater outcomes.  Unless your comfortable with being mediocre.  You shouldn't be rewarded for going to an adjacent tile only to get more rare and necessary collectables under the same safety umbrella, where the only difference is a change in scenery.  That kind of activity delivers absolutely no lasting play value.

Last edited by Cik (2010-01-01 18:12:23)

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:

I just edited mine above to add.  But, you are always rewarded for risk. You would be stupid for not taking on challenges that return greater outcomes.  Unless your comfortable with being mediocre.  You shouldn't be rewarded for going to an adjacent tile only to get more rare and necessary collectables under the same safety umbrella, where the only difference is a change in scenery.  That kind of activity delivers absolutely no lasting play value.

You get better rewarded when you take on greater challenges with your friends; that is how it works.

I failed to pierce your narrow minded point of view so I can only add:

Sandbox is about options, putting yourself into risk of losing your bot is only one way how to play the game and favouring such gameplay over other ways is only limiting the options. You can create many chalenges rewarded equaly and they do not need to involve a single shot being fired on other player.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:
Fumen wrote:

There's plenty of PvP area outside of the 3 starter islands. Maybe the problem is that there's not as much reward for wandering out there yet?

And this is crucial, I believe.  There should be greater opportunity for pve and mining/gathering rewards and collectables outside of protected areas as opposed to inside; pushes players into zones of interaction. I hope that most ore and gatherables are 'not' within the police zones, but the basics for low-range things are.

Edit: In other words, ore and flora gatherables that are less common, but absolutely necessary elements of production (for example) should be found in areas of greater risk.  Like Melatis shouldnt be prevalent inland and at the beach, but prosper in one type of geological location.

Most ore and harvestables are available within police protecting. The issue with some of them is that they (especially Liquizit, Stermonit) 'protected' by NPCs that the small mining bots have a hard time dealing with solo. Only one resource is not found within police coverage that I'm aware of: Epriton. All ore and harvestables are essential for production, though Epriton is the only one needed for advanced production (in general.... I think there's a few 'basic' modules that need Epriton in production). What you've stated is that none should appear in 'protected' areas.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

There are very small amounts of epriton on the starter islands anyways.

Now about the reason for this post. I feel as the police zones should pretty much protect the starter islands with the exception of about 10% of it.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing. -Socrates

15

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Yep.  You should get better rewards when you’re involved in a squad (team), as opposed to solo-play; that’s an appealing concept, but one that I don’t think is quite implemented yet. From what I gather, right now with a great deal the landscape/sectors being guarded, it’s a heavily implanted ruleset on the vast majority of the landmass in ½ the sectors, plus in pockets outside of the starter zones, which is about ½ the map, and this perhaps amounts to being rewarded as a single-player quite more often as opposed to operating with squads, and even with resource gathering.

This game is not a pure sandbox, and that is a different topic because its so large.  If you think it’s a pure sandbox, as Maynard is mistaken, particularly if you think that losing a bot in a pve-centric ecosystem, where those hostile mobile objects are tethered and few and far-between from causing any risk in losing your ship whatsoever.  Between the prevalence of police towers, the vast majority of harvestables under the umbrella of a safety net, the radar that reaches out to identify object way in advance, you can basically prance across the map without environmental risks from the environment (both mobs and players), and never be influenced by anything in that environment, except for slope. 

In a sandbox, you are given a world with some minimal predefined rulesets (minimal pre-defined rulesets) and you make your own game in it. Like a childs sandbox, which is just a box of sand, the actual game comes from the childs imagination and doesn’t have a set objective.  This game can be akin to a sandboxy pve game.  A pure sandbox doesn’t have as high prevalence of artificial safety-nets, but provides you the sand and the pale and shovel to build your castle at your discretion and with available resources for you to protect yourself, your corporation, or to gather, or to hunt, etc.

Again, the Police Towers are a necessary rulset in various situations, and that’s inarguable, but is also akin to a supportive single-player safety net when very prevalent, and when lets say 90% of the game-play resources are under that umbrella, completely free from environmental (mob and player) influence.  Most, the vast majority of harvestables being attainable within that safety net offers no game-play value to me, no value to that resource, the time taken to harvest it, or varying degrees of resource value to production; I’m handed everything on a platter essentially, and the only challenge is the timing of when that resource re-pops after being depleted.  So all the harvestables are necessary for production, but nothing, for the most part is uniquely challenging to attain, or requires a squad or teamwork to achieve.  That’s as opposed to cooperation with another player to achieve something.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:

You should get better rewards when you’re involved in a squad (team), as opposed to solo-play; that’s an appealing concept, but one that I don’t think is quite implemented yet.

Well, even if you mine in a safe place, you still get better rewards if you bring a friend to haul for you. Besides, there are npc's to worry about. As far as I'm concerned, that was excactly the problem in that other game: the player were the risk, but the players made the risk too high, and upping the rewards would be game breaking.

Cik wrote:

In a sandbox, you are given a world with some minimal predefined rulesets (minimal pre-defined rulesets) and you make your own game in it. Like a childs sandbox, which is just a box of sand, the actual game comes from the childs imagination and doesn’t have a set objective.

Now, allow me to finish that analogy for you. If there aren't any grown-ups around to make sure the kids play nice, then the big bullies eventually manage to chase all the other kids away, before eventually leaving the sandbox because there isn't any smaller kids for them to bully anymore. Translate to game -> carebears leave, nothing gets harvested, pirates/griefers have no one to shoot, game over.

Cik wrote:

Again, the Police Towers are a necessary rulset in various situations, and that’s inarguable, but is also akin to a supportive single-player safety net when very prevalent, and when lets say 90% of the game-play resources are under that umbrella, completely free from environmental (mob and player) influence.

If you put all the resources in a specific area, or type of area (I.E: pvp area), that creates a huge problem with monopoly. This already happened in that other game. Some few alliances controlled the vast majority of a cerain resource, which could no be obtained anywhere else, and it's affecting the entire economy. In fact, those alliaces are so rich that no-one can remove them, as making their stuff go poof has no effect, they'll just buy more stuff for you to blow up.

Cik wrote:

Most, the vast majority of harvestables being attainable within that safety net offers no game-play value to me, no value to that resource, the time taken to harvest it, or varying degrees of resource value to production; I’m handed everything on a platter essentially, and the only challenge is the timing of when that resource re-pops after being depleted.  So all the harvestables are necessary for production, but nothing, for the most part is uniquely challenging to attain, or requires a squad or teamwork to achieve.  That’s as opposed to cooperation with another player to achieve something.

If you feel it ruins your game, then I need to remind you: this is not your game. Again, just because a resource is located in a pvp area does not mean it can't be harvested solo. Just because a resource is located in a non-pvp area, does not mean it has to, or even can be harvested solo.

Have you tried to harvest all the materials needed to make a mech solo? If you had, I don't think you'd be saying it requires no effort. In fact, I don't think you have any intention what so ever to harvest anything at all in this game. I think you just want to make sure there are plenty of soft easy targets that you can raketeer for cash.

The people who actually do the harvesting however, don't feel that great about it. There has to be at least a limited amount of every resource available in "safe" places. Otherwise players can monopolize resources, and that's extremely bad for the economy. Besides, you can still get more of said resources on the less safe areas, and there will be less competition for said resources in said "unsafe" zones. Thus, the rewards will be greater.

17

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Matsuro Shi wrote:

Well, even if you mine in a safe place, you still get better rewards if you bring a friend to haul for you. Besides, there are npc's to worry about. As far as I'm concerned, that was excactly the problem in that other game: the player were the risk, but the players made the risk too high, and upping the rewards would be game breaking.

Yes, the current environment is already leaning toward game-breaking, without players being part of the challenge, the risk, actually, well, playing a central command, gain, and loss and overall influential role in what should be a player-driven ecosystem, but it is only beta. 

You get rewards without challenges everywhere and about for everything, for the most part, because the resource table is under an umbrella of safety everywhere. I thought this fault was already established in the thread, but there it is for reinforcement.  Again, there is no challenge for an industrial person, such as myself to find game-play value in an environment vastly covered by zap towers, where the resource table is protected and coddled like a child from any unexpected interference or challenge, where I can hit a mine button, watch a movie, and come back with a store or stuff, and immediately port into a docking station.   , for the most part, which was established.  The vast majority of the game environment is safe. Mobs don’t roam.

Matsuro Shi wrote:

Now, allow me to finish that analogy for you. If there aren't any grown-ups around to make sure the kids play nice, then the big bullies eventually manage to chase all the other kids away, before eventually leaving the sandbox because there isn't any smaller kids for them to bully anymore. Translate to game -> carebears leave, nothing gets harvested, pirates/griefers have no one to shoot, game over.

There needs to be a balance, and I believe I eluded to that.  However, there is a toppling over in the wrong direction when balance is pushed aside, as in this case.  So let me translate, this game is an arcade pve-centric, single-player-esque model that might be heavy on the calories, but falls short on lasting nutrition.  Any indie project can be successful, but carebears and pirates alike are gonna come and go when they realize their entertainment value is as shallow as piloting a mech for resource gather or combat against tethered mobs by virture of nothing more entertaining than pushing a button and sitting behind a screen, watching EP rise every 60 seconds.

Matsuro Shi wrote:

If you put all the resources in a specific area, or type of area (I.E: pvp area), that creates a huge problem with monopoly. This already happened in that other game. Some few alliances controlled the vast majority of a cerain resource, which could no be obtained anywhere else, and it's affecting the entire economy. In fact, those alliaces are so rich that no-one can remove them, as making their stuff go poof has no effect, they'll just buy more stuff for you to blow up.

Firstly, dont mis-quote what is already printed above.  No one supports all the resources in pvp areas only; but again, there needs balance of the resource table so that unique and some types of resources are outside of our police patrolled areas for the manufacture of non-standard items, I think. Secondly, ‘that other game’ that your so shy in mentioning is hugely successful for a reason.  It is a well balanced sandboxy game with great depth and breadth of a player-driven ecosystem, as well as game-play mechanics; it’s done as properly as most sandboxy games are.

Matsuro Shi wrote:

If you feel it ruins your game, then I need to remind you: this is not your game. Again, just because a resource is located in a pvp area does not mean it can't be harvested solo. Just because a resource is located in a non-pvp area, does not mean it has to, or even can be harvested solo.

This is not your game, and we are beta testers, all contributing, so, heh, get over it I guess.  You should familiarize yourself with the game-play and resource gathering a bit more before assuming that the vast majority of the resources can’t be farmed solo while afk, and as another reinforcement, the vast majority of them within the warm embrace of the mothering pve police force.  So, please feel free to list all the resources, their locations, and those that are only attainable outside the zap towers.

Matsuro Shi wrote:

Have you tried to harvest all the materials needed to make a mech solo? If you had, I don't think you'd be saying it requires no effort. In fact, I don't think you have any intention what so ever to harvest anything at all in this game. I think you just want to make sure there are plenty of soft easy targets that you can raketeer for cash.

Fumen wrote:

Most ore and harvestables are available within police protecting. The issue with some of them is that they (especially Liquizit, Stermonit) 'protected' by NPCs that the small mining bots have a hard time dealing with solo. Only one resource is not found within police coverage that I'm aware of: Epriton. All ore and harvestables are essential for production, though Epriton is the only one needed for advanced production (in general.... I think there's a few 'basic' modules that need Epriton in production). What you've stated is that none should appear in 'protected' areas.

I get the sense that your looking for a single-player, arcade-style, easy-mode, non-player-driven game to jump to; its nothing to be ashamed of, but it’s not the interest of mine to play a sims game.  That’s just me.  Again, if you haven’t read the whole thread, then you should.  Actually, this thread has evolved, and I’ll probably start another topic for focus, as this one was supposed to be dedicated to the high prevalence of police towers.  Now about production and resource gathering, the fastest thriving corporations will have several players split among extension trees to be most efficient and productive at production.  And those more successful corporations should have a military arm to defend their resource gatherers (hence player-driven and cooperative), but it certainly isnt necessary in the least.  And, I do harvest, which is why I am weary about the elementary, G-Rated state of the environment.  But again, this is beta, and we’re all contributors.

Last edited by Cik (2010-01-05 19:05:17)

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

I'd like to note that the way natural resuorces are distributed now is to help testing game mechanics and they will be redistributed as soon as we're out of beta.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." -- Bill Cosby

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Cik wrote:

Yes, the current environment is already leaning toward game-breaking, without players being part of the challenge, the risk, actually, well, playing a central command, gain, and loss and overall influential role in what should be a player-driven ecosystem, but it is only beta. 

You get rewards without challenges everywhere and about for everything, for the most part, because the resource table is under an umbrella of safety everywhere. I thought this fault was already established in the thread, but there it is for reinforcement.  Again, there is no challenge for an industrial person, such as myself to find game-play value in an environment vastly covered by zap towers, where the resource table is protected and coddled like a child from any unexpected interference or challenge, where I can hit a mine button, watch a movie, and come back with a store or stuff, and immediately port into a docking station.   , for the most part, which was established.  The vast majority of the game environment is safe. Mobs don’t roam.

Afaik the npc's are being worked on, and as Zoom just posted, the resources will be redeployed at some point.

Cik wrote:

There needs to be a balance, and I believe I eluded to that.  However, there is a toppling over in the wrong direction when balance is pushed aside, as in this case.  So let me translate, this game is an arcade pve-centric, single-player-esque model that might be heavy on the calories, but falls short on lasting nutrition.  Any indie project can be successful, but carebears and pirates alike are gonna come and go when they realize their entertainment value is as shallow as piloting a mech for resource gather or combat against tethered mobs by virture of nothing more entertaining than pushing a button and sitting behind a screen, watching EP rise every 60 seconds.

Well, what you're talking about still doesn't require resources to be deployed in pvp hotzones. A better idea would be to have resource gathering require irl skill, like a mini game of some sort.

Cik wrote:

Firstly, dont mis-quote what is already printed above.  No one supports all the resources in pvp areas only; but again, there needs balance of the resource table so that unique and some types of resources are outside of our police patrolled areas for the manufacture of non-standard items, I think. Secondly, ‘that other game’ that your so shy in mentioning is hugely successful for a reason.  It is a well balanced sandboxy game with great depth and breadth of a player-driven ecosystem, as well as game-play mechanics; it’s done as properly as most sandboxy games are.

Firstly, read my whole post before accusing me of misquoting. I read the whole thread, and I responded to your post. You are keen on the idea of having some resources only appearing in pvp enabled areas. This is what I'm against. Secondly, that other game, is not that successful. 300k active subs in 7 years. That doesn't spell hugely successful in my book. Rich gameworld? Do you mean the ovecrowded protected zones, or do you mean the unsafe areas where you can travel 20+ jumps without bumping in to a single player?

And let me remind you: in the early days it took a player weeks to obtain enough wealth to buy anything beyond the smallest ship. This was because the only way to obtain the resources to build any ships at all, was to harvest them in the unsafe areas. The makers obviously scrapped that idea. I wonder why...

Cik wrote:

This is not your game, and we are beta testers, all contributing, so, heh, get over it I guess.  You should familiarize yourself with the game-play and resource gathering a bit more before assuming that the vast majority of the resources can’t be farmed solo while afk, and as another reinforcement, the vast majority of them within the warm embrace of the mothering pve police force.  So, please feel free to list all the resources, their locations, and those that are only attainable outside the zap towers.

Dude. I just told you it's not your game, and you presume to tell me the same thing? roll Why would I want to list all the resources and their locations? And I've already explained to you how playing solo is less profitable, even in the safe areas.

Cik wrote:

I get the sense that your looking for a single-player, arcade-style, easy-mode, non-player-driven game to jump to; its nothing to be ashamed of, but it’s not the interest of mine to play a sims game.  That’s just me.  Again, if you haven’t read the whole thread, then you should.  Actually, this thread has evolved, and I’ll probably start another topic for focus, as this one was supposed to be dedicated to the high prevalence of police towers.  Now about production and resource gathering, the fastest thriving corporations will have several players split among extension trees to be most efficient and productive at production.  And those more successful corporations should have a military arm to defend their resource gatherers (hence player-driven and cooperative), but it certainly isnt necessary in the least.  And, I do harvest, which is why I am weary about the elementary, G-Rated state of the environment.  But again, this is beta, and we’re all contributors.

What makes you think I want a solo game? What makes yo uthink I want easy mode? I want to prevent other players from having the ability to create their easy mode by monopolizing resources. However, regardless of what you or I want, a sandbox should have room enough to accomodate solo players, not just team players. In a sandbox, no one should be able to dictate how anyone else plays the game, or achieves their goals.

There is only sand, how you shape it, or what you shape it in to, is down to the individual. If you're not sure what to do with it, you can always follow somebody else's vision. If you do know what you want, then I don't see any reason why one should need to force ones vision on to others in order to achieve success. That's only to make it easier.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

I look forward to non-standard resources in pvp zones, and many for that matter, scattered outside of police zones to support the community driven nature of the game.

Thanks zoom. 

I cant tell ya how boring it is for me to plop right out of docking to the floor, scan for titanium. . .bingo...got it...turn on tv program...return in 15 minutes. . .unload and load up HDT charges. . .port out of docking to the surface. . .scan for HDT at the base without moving for the most part, mine HDT, watch tv for another 15 minutes...pop back into the docking station. . .fit myself with a Harvester. . .port back down to the surface. . .and move 10 meters to harvest Helio. . .harvest it for 15minutes...and make some missiles.

That had to be the most unfulfilling experience I've had, and yes, I expect to be interfered with by other players for less common resources in pvp zones.  Hopefully the loot table distributes more resources that will never be under the protection of the npc police more than less.  I can only hope that players will play a main influential role in this game.  I should expect to have a harvesting party with some members being in Assault Robots to protect me from other players.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Conq wrote:

I look forward to non-standard resources in pvp zones, and many for that matter, scattered outside of police zones to support the community driven nature of the game.

Thanks zoom. 

I cant tell ya how boring it is for me to plop right out of docking to the floor, scan for titanium. . .bingo...got it...turn on tv program...return in 15 minutes. . .unload and load up HDT charges. . .port out of docking to the surface. . .scan for HDT at the base without moving for the most part, mine HDT, watch tv for another 15 minutes...pop back into the docking station. . .fit myself with a Harvester. . .port back down to the surface. . .and move 10 meters to harvest Helio. . .harvest it for 15minutes...and make some missiles.

That had to be the most unfulfilling experience I've had, and yes, I expect to be interfered with by other players for less common resources in pvp zones.  Hopefully the loot table distributes more resources that will never be under the protection of the npc police more than less.  I can only hope that players will play a main influential role in this game.  I should expect to have a harvesting party with some members being in Assault Robots to protect me from other players.

Sorry, but how excactly will it become more interesting if you have to sit still for 15minutes and worry about getting shot at, at wich point you probably lose your bot anyways? You still have to sit still for 15minutes, and even if you have some friends to preotect you, there is no mechanic that forces people to shoot your friends.

Easy way to make your life miserable: get a bunch of cheap bots, get some friends. Specifically target the mining bots (which are weaker and have less armour), mining bots go poof, mining op is disrupted. Victory!

I think you'll only find it frustrating to mine in pvp zones. In fact, if it's so boring and you crave excitement, then what's stopping you from going there to do some mining right now? Or do you need to be forced there?

Just because you need to be forced, doesn't mean that every one else should have to suffer because you can't act without being forced.

Re: Police Guard Towers: Too Prelavent?

Conq wrote:

I look forward to non-standard resources in pvp zones, and many for that matter, scattered outside of police zones to support the community driven nature of the game.

Thanks zoom. 

I cant tell ya how boring it is for me to plop right out of docking to the floor, scan for titanium. . .bingo...got it...turn on tv program...return in 15 minutes. . .unload and load up HDT charges. . .port out of docking to the surface. . .scan for HDT at the base without moving for the most part, mine HDT, watch tv for another 15 minutes...pop back into the docking station. . .fit myself with a Harvester. . .port back down to the surface. . .and move 10 meters to harvest Helio. . .harvest it for 15minutes...and make some missiles.

That had to be the most unfulfilling experience I've had, and yes, I expect to be interfered with by other players for less common resources in pvp zones.  Hopefully the loot table distributes more resources that will never be under the protection of the npc police more than less.  I can only hope that players will play a main influential role in this game.  I should expect to have a harvesting party with some members being in Assault Robots to protect me from other players.

Devs, again, thanks for plotting resource tables outside safety controlled zones and into pvp zones as others in this thread have had an interest in.  Just another player here with similar boring experience and the feel of anything but a dynamic player-driven and influenced environment as I clearly stated.